Moggi: Juve never approached Mazzarri

Luciano Moggi has stoked the fires ahead of Juventus clash against Napoli by saying Walter Mazzarri was never considered by his old club.

The 51-year-old coach shot to prominence at the end of the 2010/11 campaign after leading Napoli to third place in the Serie A and Champions League football the following season.

His exploits sparked rumours that he was in the running to replace sacked Juve boss Luigi Delneri but, according to the former director, it was not the case as Antonio Conte eventually took on the vacancy.

It was Mazzarri looking for Juve and not vice versa, Moggi told Radio Mana Sport.

I know for a fact that Juventus have never thought of hiring Walter Mazzarri, but rather he was the one to have proposed to them before the appointment of Co…

Menezes parts company with Brazil

Mano Menezes has been relieved from his post as Brazil coach, less than two years prior to the South Americans hosting of the World Cup.

Menezes, 50, took charge of national team duties in 2010, and led the Selecao at both the 2011 Copa America and the 2012 London Olympics.

However, his side crashed out of the Argentina-hosted tournament to Paraguay on penalties, before stumbling to a 3-2 loss to Mexico in the gold medal match in London.

He was summoned to a meeting with the Brazilian Football Confederation on Friday, when his reign as manager ceased.

More to follow

Toulouse 0-3 PSG: Champions back to winning ways despite Dupe heroics

Paris Saint-Germain recovered from their blip against Monaco to ease to a 3-0 win at Toulouse.

The Ligue 1 champions were held to a 1-1 draw at the Parc des Princes on Sunday, but another surprise result was never on the cards in the south of France.

PSG dominated an open contest and would have won by a greater margin if not for a superb performance from Toulouse goalkeper Maxime Dupe.

But goals from Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and Juan Bernat made if four wins from five for PSG, who have Marseille and Lens for company on 13 points at the top of the table.

Three goals and three points on this Wednesday

I

— Paris Saint-Germain (@PSG_English)

A frantic opening to the match saw both goalkeepers consistently forced into action. T…

I´m going nowhere, Moyes tells Everton fans

Everton boss David Moyes insisted Saturday he wants to sign a new contract so he can concentrate on building a side for the future.

Moyes future at Goodison has been under speculation in recent weeks, but the Scot said: I am not going anywhere. I am here and intend to see the job through. We have great expectations and I hope that I am able to fulfill them.

Moyes current deal with the Blues ends in 2009 but the former Celtic player said he was close to signing a new contract.

I hope that maybe we can try and get together in the next week or two and sort something out, he told the club s website.

At the moment my energies are focused on bringing in new players. We have a certain amount of money to improve what we have got here.

Everton qual…

Champions League top priority at PSG – Di Maria

UEFA Champions League success will be Angel di Maria s main goal with Paris Saint-Germain, the Argentine midfielder claimed after completing his medical in Qatar.

Di Maria arrived in Doha on Tuesday for his medical, with the Manchester United winger expected to sign with PSG in the coming days.

Speaking to beIN Sports afterwards, Di Maria underlined the importance of helping PSG improve on the continental stage this season, with the Argentina international having previously won the Champions League with Real Madrid in 2013-14.

I know PSG won everything last season, won every title and that s very important for such a big club, he said.

They made it to the quarter-finals of the Champions League, so my objective was to arrive to Paris and help them throug…

Solskjaer: Man United´s pre-season wins mean nothing

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insisted Manchester United s pre-season results meant nothing as they look ahead to their Premier League opener.

United have won all five of their friendlies ahead of the 2019-20 season, including victories over Inter and Tottenham.

But Solskjaer, whose team face AC Milan in the International Champions Cup on Saturday, said the results were irrelevant ahead of United s league opener against Chelsea at Old Trafford on August 11.

We ve been very pleased with it. It s been nice seeing the boys come back to pre-season in good shape, he told talkSPORT on Thursday.

But then again, no points have been handed out, and it doesn t really matter when Chelsea come to Old Trafford on 11th August.

Solskjaer added: We need to improve and …

All change at French rivals PSG and Marseille

French giants Marseille and Paris St-Germain both announced managerial changes on Tuesday, adding further spice to one of the most intriguing seasons in recent French football history.

Marseille, who lead Ligue 1 on goal difference from Bordeaux, were first off the mark when they announced that French World Cup hero Didier Deschamps would take over from Eric Gerets.

The Belgian has guided the southern giants to within striking distance of their first league crown since 1992, but he announced last week that he would leave, citing a lack of support from club owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus.

Hours later bitter rivals PSG followed suit by confirming that Paul Le Guen s contract will not be renewed when it expires at the end of the season.

Sport daily L Equipe rep…

Rizzoli to take charge of UEFA Champions League final

Italian Nicola Rizzoli will referee Saturday s UEFA Champions League final between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund at Wembley.

The 41-year-old has been an international referee since 2007, and oversaw the inaugural UEFA Europa League final between Atletico Madrid and Fulham in 2010.

He has refereed 26 UEFA Champions League games to date and took charge of three matches at UEFA Euro 2012.
The Bologna-born official, who is an architect, has courted controversy in the past, with retiring Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson suggesting he was swayed by Bayern Munich players when he sent off Rafael da Silva in the 2010 UEFA Champions League quarter-final clash between the sides at Old Trafford, which the Germans won on away goals after drawing 4-4 on aggregate.
He is know…

Conte thanks Chelsea players, staff and fans

Antonio Conte has thanked Chelsea s players and staff for their efforts during his two-year tenure – but made no mention of his former employers on the Stamford Bridge board.

Conte s long-anticipated departure was confirmed on Friday, with the Italian s countryman Maurizio Sarri installed as his successor as expected over the weekend.

The former Juventus boss masterminded a dominant Premier League title triumph during his first season at the helm in 2016-17 but Chelsea s title defence stalled last time around.

Conte expressed regular disgruntlement with the club s transfer policy and, following a fifth-place finish in the top flight, the dye was already cast before a 1-0 FA Cup final win over Manchester United.

I would like to thank all of my friends a…

Fabregas strikes verbal deal to join Barca: report

Arsenal s star midfielder and captain, Cesc Fabregas, has struck a verbal agreement with Champions League holders Barcelona to return to the club next season, Cadena Ser radio reported on Tuesday.

There is a firm agreement between Barca and Cesc Fabregas even if it is only verbal, the Spanish station reported without citing its sources.

Several meetings have taken place and, following those meetings, Cesc told Barca that he wanted to rejoin them from next season, it added.

Cadena Ser said the deal would be subject to agreeing a fee with Arsenal.

The reigning Spanish champions have neither confirmed nor denied the report.

Fabregas, a 22-year-old Spanish international, is Arsenal s top scorer with 14 goals in all competitions this season and is u…